Staff Selection Commission (SSC) has become one of the most prudent organizations for government examinations in India. SSC conducts various examinations through which vacancies are filled in government departments, one of the most desired examinations is the SSC CGL (Combined Graduate Level) exam.
SSC CGL Notification:
Every year SSC releases an Annual Calendar in which you can find the list of all upcoming exam dates. To know more about the SSC CGL Exam visit this page regularly.
SSC CGL Vacancy:
Every year SSC organizes the SSC CGL exam through which non-technical Group ‘B’ and Group ‘C’ non-gazetted posts in various Ministries/ Organizations/ Departments.
- Assistants in Ministries/Departments, Attached and the Subordinate office of the Govt. of India.
- Inspectors of Central Excise & Customs.
- Inspectors of Income Tax.
- Preventive Officers in Customs.
- Examiner in Customs.
- Sub-Inspectors in Central Bureau of Narcotics & CBI.
- Assistant Enforcement Officer in Directorate of Enforcement, Department of Revenue.
- Divisional Accountant, Jr. Accountant, Auditor & UDC in various offices of Govt. of India.
- Auditor Offices under C&AG, CGDA, CGA & others.
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant
- Tax Assistant in CBDT and CBEC
- The Compiler in Registrar General of India.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern:
SSC CGL Exam has four levels in the exam. The examination will be conducted in four tiers as indicated below:
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
SSC CGL Exam Syllabus:
As the Exam Pattern of SSC CGL Exam is in four levels, so the syllabus of all levels is to be shown independently.
Tier – I Syllabus:
SSC CGL Tier – I Exam is an objective exam which will be conducted online.
|Section||Subject||Questions||Max. Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Objective Multiple Choice||25||50||100|
|2||Objective Multiple Choice||25||50|
|3||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||25||50|
|4||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||25||50|
Exam Main Points:
- SSC CGL Tier-I exam has negative marking for every incorrect answer a penalty of 0.5 marks will be given in all sections.
- For Visually Handicapped candidates the exam duration is 80 minutes.
Tier – II Syllabus:
SSC CGL Tier – II Exam is also an objective exam which will be conducted online.
|Paper||Subject||Questions||Max. Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Quantitative Abilities||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
Exam Main Points:
- Paper-1 and Paper-2 are compulsory for all posts.
- Paper-3 is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” & “Compiler”.
- Paper-4 is only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”.
- Questions in Paper-I will be of the 10th class level, Paper-2 of the 12th class level and Paper-3 & 4 will be of graduation level.
- SSC CGL Tier-II exam has negative marking for every incorrect answer a penalty of 0.5 marks will be given in paper – 1,3 & 4 and 0.25 marks will be deducted in paper – 2.
- For Visually Handicapped candidates the exam duration is 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Tier – III Syllabus:
Tier-III Exam is a descriptive exam that is designed to test the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. It is conducted offline and candidates need to write Essay/Letter/Application/Precis. The best way to prepare for the same is to read lots of articles from various newspapers. Apart from this, you need to be well aware of the pattern of Letter and Application.
Exam Main Points:
- The exam is of 60 minutes duration and carries 100 marks.
- The questions are based on 10+2 level.
- The exam is qualifying in nature.
- The exam duration is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffer from cerebral palsy.
Tier – IV Syllabus:
The Tier-IV of SSC CGL Exam comprises of a couple of skill tests which are required for certain government posts.
1. DEST (Data Entry Speed Test): This skill test is of qualifying nature for all the posts, other than Compiler, and is used to check the typing speed of the candidate. The candidates are given printed matter in English which they must accurately type on a computer with a minimum of 2000 (two thousand) key depressions in a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
2. CPT (Computer Proficiency Test): The Commission will hold CPT, comprising three modules – Word Processing, Spread Sheet and Generation of Slides, for applicants for the post of Assistants of CSS(Assistant), MEA(Assistant), Inspector (Central Excise) [CBEC], Inspector (Preventive officer)[CBEC] & Inspector (Examiner)[CBEC]. CPT will be of a qualifying nature.
SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria:
There are 4 major measures which a candidate must fulfil in order to be eligible for the SSC CGL Exam. The 4 parameters are given below:
1. Citizenship: A Candidate must be a citizen of India.
2. Age Limit: There are a different set of age limits for different posts in SSC CGL Exam, which are given below:
|Name of Post||Department||Age Limit|
|Inspector||Central Bureau of Narcotics||18-27 years|
|Auditor||Offices under CAG|
|Assistant Section Officer||Central Secretariat Service||20-30 Years|
|Assistant Section Officer||Ministry of Railway|
|Assistant Section Officer||Ministry of External Affairs|
|Assistant Section Officer||Air Force HeadQuarters|
|Inspector, (Central Excise)||Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC)||Not More than 30 years|
|Inspector (Preventive officer)||CBEC|
|Assistant Audit Officer||Indian Audit & Accounts Department Under CAG|
|Assistant Section Officer||Intelligence Bureau|
|Inspector of Income Tax||CBDT|
|Assistant Enforcement Officer||Directorate of Enforcement, Department of Revenue||Up to 30Years|
|Junior Statistical Officer||Ministry of Statistics & Prog. Implementation||Up to 32 years|
3. Educational Qualification: The Educational Qualification varies as per the post in SSC CGL Exam.
|Name of Post||Education|
|Assistant Audit Officer||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized University OR Desirable Qualification: CA/CS/MBA/Cost & Management Accountant/Masters in Commerce/Masters in Business Studies|
|Statistical Investigator Grade – II Post||Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University
with minimum 60% in Mathematics in Class 12th OR Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with Statistics as one of the subjects in graduation
|Compiler Posts||Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University
with Economics or Statistics or Mathematics as
compulsory or Elective Subject
|All Other Posts||Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a
recognized University or equivalent
4. Physical Fitness Requirements: There are certain necessary Physical Standards for Inspector (Central Excise/Examiner/Preventive Officer), Sub-Inspector in CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) and Sub-Inspector in NIA (National Investigation Agency).